Monday 28 March 2016

Interiors ideas I can't get enough of

So it's now spring and the clocks have gone back and I'm feeling like doing some house-y stuff again as the sun is shining and I have some motivation.  I really should get a SAD lamp or something, I am not a fan of the Winter.

Hexagon Tiles
I subscribe to SheerLuxe and absolutely love when they have an interiors or home article in their daily newsletters.  They did an article on tiles that I can't get out of my head and in particular the image of hexagonal tiles: http://sheerluxe.com/2016/03/18/7-statement-tiles-your-splashback. The herringbone and feature tiles are amazing.  We (I) have already decided we will be having a downstairs toilet when our kitchen eventually gets done hopefully in the next decade and I am loving hexagon tiles for that kind of space.  They're so unique and luxe but simple at the same time.  I should stipulate though, it is purely wall tiles I'm interested in.  They just don't look exciting or appealing as a floor tile to me.  Here are some of the ideas I cannot get enough of:

Fired Earth - Indian Ocean range, Madagascar Seaspray
Ragno - Rewind Collection

Johnsons Tiles - Absolute Collection, Selene

Concrete
I'm awful with plants but this whole succulent revival is making me see concrete on a whole new level as they look so good in sculpted concrete vases.  I am a massive fan of anything geometric at the moment and these are no different.  I am absolutely in love with these:
ConcreteGeometric

And would possibly paint one side gold and/or white for display in our guestroom.  I like the combination of concrete and marble (I intend to jump on the marble contact paper bandwagon and redo a side table we have) and the succulents against our backdrop of textured white wallpaper.  

I have also been mentally exploring the idea of breezeblock planters for our garden.  We have recently had a quotation to redo our whole garden, and whilst we can't afford to do anything with it yet I have so many ideas swirling around for what the future garden could be decorated with that will be the least time consuming to maintain but still be beautiful. Breezeblocks are so utilitarian but if built into a structure, they have such appeal: 


Both taken from Pinterest
I know these aren't quite concrete but they're along the same concept and still equally as dull in appearance as concrete.  

Navy & Royal Blue
I cannot get enough of these colours they're so dramatic.  We have a weird walk through upstairs where a room was knocked into two rooms and it needed a passageway to make it feasible for entry into both rooms. Instead of removing it like we will when eventually we will convert the loft (I have such great champagne dreams I know) - I made a feature out of it and painted all of the walls white, the ceiling a cobalt blue and then we put a glass star pendant in it.  I need to mount the full length mirror on the wall but it reminds me a little bit of being in a lighthouse and the ceiling colour is so beautiful.  I have been looking for other places in the house to put either of these colours but still no luck yet.  It will have to be in the art I want to also get but that is for another section in this blog. 

Pinterest

Yellow
My mum never lets me forget that when I was a child and my parents were redoing my room, they took me to a carpet shop and my mum asked what colour carpet I wanted, I pointed to a mustard yellow.  To this day, I still love the colour and I still don't regret it (although my parents laughed and it never made it to my childhood room).   Although I love it more for furniture and accessories, I love how warm and sunny it is as a colour and it also looks great on my son. 

Pinterest
Homeedit.com
Abstract Art 
I have never been too interested in artwork, they say it's subjective and whilst I admire interiors and the way people decorate their homes, I have never really looked at artwork except as another "pretty decoration".  I know to some people this may be farcical and I should be shot but I'm being honest at least.  In the last couple of years however, my eyes have been opened to the world of abstract art.  I looks to liberating and it can be interpreted in so many ways.  Some people might see it as paint splashes (me - more than two years ago) but I see it as a way of interconnecting interior colours as well as creating almost persona for the room.  I was inspired by works I had seen bought for a client at work which incorporated vivid and bold colours into a very bland Victorian space.  The artwork was mounted behind a large gold glass tea stand and it looked absolutely stunning.  Here are some pieces I have been looking at for home: 

Carol Schiff Studio
Shining Eye Arts
I think both are absolutely stunning and to me it looks like the movement of water.  

I have tried to decorate our house to be sympathetic to its roots but I love some of the modern elements of design to tie everything together.  I can't wait to get stuck into some projects and maybe even finish off the decor of some of the key parts of the house but it's now just finding the time.  There are certainly more than enough design articles though to keep my ideas flowing!

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment