Monday 4 April 2016

Nursery ideas

I'm not going to lie, I loved writing the last post about interiors.  I love new home design trends and I love getting newsletters with new trends and upcycling ideas in them.  There are so many different things you can do in the home and there is never any rule against combining two or more styles.

I loved looking at nursery ideas when we were in the process of buying our house.  Sure, I wasn't pregnant yet but the house was a means to an end.  We would have a family in that house one day and optimistically the nursery was the second room to be finished.  I knew that I wanted a "grown up" nursery, I have never been a fan of teddy bears etc all over the walls also, I figured it would be easier to decorate once my son was older if the colours were a little more mature as it would give us a nice blank canvas to work with.  My husband didn't know we were having a boy and I don't like the idea of blue for boys and pink for girls so the ideas had to be neutral.  Some of the ideas I looked at were as follows:


Housetohome & indulgy.com
mrsandthemisc.com
www.freshdesignpedia.com
www.chiccheapnursery.com

As you can see there is a lot of two things, stripes and orange.  I knew pretty early on that orange would be the accent colour but the stripes were just an added bonus to the design.  As you will have seen from earlier posts, the ceiling is striped and our changing mat, mobile and the bed linen are both orange.  The rest of the room is beige and the furniture is white with orange handles.

Last week I had a discussion about a room for my half-brother.  He is 6 and has a pirate ship bed and the intention is to have a mural on the wall in front of the bed.  The rest of the walls are to be painted.  The room used to be Manchester United themed (don't ask) so was red and white with a Man U border.  When my husband and I had to move in with my dad between houses, I bought a self-adhesive border to cover up the hideous football logo and thicker curtains to make it a little bit more homely.  Now my half-brother is older, he has inherited the room and it's in the process of being redone.  Covering up red coving will not be an easy task and also the room has been redone/covered up so many times it will take a lot of effort and time to convert it again. 

I had suggested that possibly the walls should be painted in a pale blue to represent the vast sea and sky and that the ceiling should be painted navy with glow in the dark white dots to represent the night sky.  My dad had decided on painting the ceiling a pale blue but was unsure about the walls.  The room is massive.  My half-brother is scared of the dark and also not very big so the navy would make the room feel smaller in a good way.  Also he loves space and science so would love a night sky and maybe a planet mobile in a dedicated space corner so he can study the planets in more detail.  This took a lot of convincing my dad that navy was a colour worth considering on a ceiling.  

Needless to say I manage to find this image on Google and my dad promptly went out to get paint colour cards.  I love the idea that you can influence a child's imagination purely by the colours you use in their room.  I hope that the orange will inspire my son, I know he already loves bright flowers and cars and I can't wait to see what he will be like when he's a little older and we have to repaint his room.  

Where do you get your inspiration from when decorating your own house? I would love to hear your favourite decor styles. 

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment