Monday 21 March 2016

Things I didn't realise I would miss

Today, my husband had the day off of work and I was left on my own for a couple of hours while I went to my buggy fit class (I used the teacher's buggy) and he took our son.  While I was in the cafe while my instructor was changing her son's nappy, I realised I too needed to go to the bathroom and after washing my hands I used the hand dryer.  I used the HAND DRYER.  I say this twice because the first time I ever used a hand dryer, I was in a disabled toilet with my son, and didn't think anything of it after washing my hands.  Unfortunately, he has never since looked at a hand dryer the same way, he was screaming while it was going and the look of fear on his face is something I will never forget.  Now, my son is not scared of anything loud usually and more often than not usually wants to see what the noise is and where it's coming from.  He loves our vacuum cleaners and even tries to copy the noise they make!  Anyway, this got me thinking what else have I missed since having my son?  

Ok, I didn't miss using a hand dryer but I missed the not having to think about whether I should dry my hands with a dryer or toilet paper - which would disintegrate into my hands causing more mess but would avoid mental scarring.  Some other things I didn't realise I missed: 
  • Lunch without having to share 
  • Happy hour with friends 
  • Being able to get my haircut in Central London after work 
  • Showers without disruption/intervention
This obviously isn't an extensive list and here's why, I don't miss much from my old life aside from travelling abroad because I have found new ways with my son.  I actually get to take my time walking to places and probably notice more.  I allow more time to get to places so I'm actually more punctual even to things I'm not paying for (my friends will vouch for how awful my timekeeping was).  Most importantly, when I do get that all important mummy time alone, showering, painting my toenails and meeting with friends mean so much more.  My son has made me more appreciative of everything because time is so precious.  We have our first family holiday in December to meet some of my husband's family abroad and although I am dreading it, this will set the precedent for our holidays to come.  Hopefully, a friend of mine from the US will be marrying next year and we get to take a trip to Michigan but also then to travel elsewhere and show my son a little more of the world.  My husband and I loved travelling before my son was born so we can't wait to show him a little of our world.  I'm so excited to have his little mind opened up to all of the cultures and foods of the world and who truly cares if it means I have to share food - less calories right? 

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment