Wednesday 2 March 2016

Cheating at life

I'm all for giving life your 110% unless of course you don't have 110% to give because you're exhausted or lazy.  I would say I'm a little of both at the moment but I'm sure it's a winter lull, I'm definitely in love with the Spring and Summer.  Also, it did not stop raining today.  The. Whole. Day.  Bring on the sunshine and picnics in the park already. 

I don't say I have any particular life hacks, I'm very much list orientated so my husband finds my lists everywhere.  I have to do lists, things I need to pay/buy lists, budgets, shopping lists, I could go on.  I find them effective and also encouraging as I love to see all of the ticks.  So sad I know, but to me lists are satisfying.  They mean I get stuff done especially now I'm still suffering with baby brain.  I'm much less forgetful than when my son was a young baby but I still struggle week to week to remember things if I haven't written them down.  In fact, if I haven't written it down - forget about me remembering whatever it was.  I'm sure you can read very clearly that I'm writing before thinking and as I explained to someone at work, if I read things back immediately they seem absolutely fine but if I read it back a week later, I sound like English is my second language and for that I apologise.  It must make for a hard read but my intention was for this to be an overspill of my thoughts as I have so very many! 

Anyway, back to the point.  I spend a lot of time on Buzzfeed looking at their DIYs and hacks for everything and I think, I should do that or I really should make that because they would be helpful.  Have I recreated anything I have seen on there that would change my life? No.  My day to day thought is now - get through the day successfully and by that I mean without burning the house down and/or anything bad happening to my son or I.  It can be summed up in a quote I recently saw on a mug, 

"Yes, I am still in my pajamas.  What did I accomplish today? 
The kids are still alive.  Say thank you.
Now say I'm pretty."

Amazing, right? I wish I would have had this mug when my son was first born as a response to both mothers asking why I was still in pyjamas more than once.   

Today though, something amazing happened.  I had a cleaner.  I'm going to keep this a secret from my mother obviously (she has no idea I blog) but I feel so much better about our house and I feel like effort was actually put into making sure the surfaces are no longer gross.  Yes we have anti-bacterial spray and wipes and yes they get used constantly, but it's not the same as someone deep cleaning your house.  My bathroom is actually gleaming and she did a much better job than my husband or I at getting rid of most of the limescale on our shower doors - using the exact same product.  Now I know what you might be thinking - how lazy am I that I can't clean the house myself?  There are two answers to this - (1) I hate cleaning but I do it out of necessity - when I have the time which is barely ever (2) my son is so active and desperate to help us do anything I would spend the entire time trying to stop him eating window cleaner/hoovering up his toys.  

When I received an email on Friday asking if I would like 2 hours free I practically cried.  I could not have signed up any quicker and I even paid extra for the windows to be cleaned as it's something I still haven't got round to since my son has been born.  I went through this company: https://housekeep.com/how-it-works/ and although my original booking had to be rescheduled to today (in their defence it was less than 24 hours notice but they did seemingly have availability) it was well worth the wait.  From the moment Viorica stepped into the house, I felt relieved.  She was great with my son as well and knew he would be a little bit cautious as she was someone new.  I had asked her to prioritise the bathroom and the nursery as well as the windows which was allocated extra time.  As I have mentioned above, she did an amazing job and I'm so happy I went for it, I'm just sad it will be a little while before we have her round again.  

No part of me feels guilty for paying someone to clean my house while I spend time with my son.  I would love to have more social time with him instead of planning what I'm going to do the moment he goes down for a nap which is generally housework instead of napping myself.  Our pile of ironing is shocking but if we're out when my son has his nap, that's my housework window gone.  I know millions of women have dealt with this situation much better than me but I'm not a natural housewife and never will be.  I love to bake and craft sure, but my cooking leaves a lot to be desired and as you already know my cleaning is the same.  I wish we would come into money so I could have her back weekly but this was an experience I'm definitely happy to admit to and share.  

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment