Wednesday 11 November 2015

Poops and giggles

I have just spent an hour cleaning up projectile vomit. 

Motherhood has its perks and I know that poop and vomit were not going to be two of them but it really is true what they say, you will find yourself discussing poop like it's nothing like I currently am.  I have discussed newborn poop, weaning poop, unwell poop and teething poop.  None of them are particularly pleasant and I never thought I would hear myself say this but I miss newborn poop having smelt and dealt with all of the others.  

My son is sick yet again and although this isn't the first time he has projectiled, this is the first time he has done it all over his foam play mats and toys.  The last hour has been both gross and exhausting.  Thank God for Dettol.  Unfortunately when he did it, my shock made him shocked so he didn't know what to do and neither did I for a moment.  Then I spent an hour trying to get my son away from the concentration of vomit.  Boys are gross from birth, clearly.  When he finally fell asleep, I knew what I had to face and it didn't make it any easier. 

The one thing that has surprised me about all of this is that although it is gross, I took a picture of it and shared it with my husband and sister.  I always thought I would be ok with nappy contents, wet or soiled but never the vomit.  How wrong I was.  I personally think I handled this situation like a trooper and maybe my pride led to the overshare but why should I have to suffer alone? 

On the flip side of this my son has decided that the whole world is hilarious and spends most of the day laughing at things.  I'm pretty sure that he's not delirious from being unwell and I absolutely love hearing him laugh.  I will do anything to make him laugh and I have found myself hiding behind things, gesturing wildly, making up ridiculous voices and rewording songs to add my son's name (which he thinks is the best thing ever).  There is nothing better than a baby's laugh and that's what I think makes the Pampers advert here so effective... although I don't know many people not using Pampers on their child.  My son's laugh helps me gain some perspective that noone wants to be so serious all of the time.  I have also laughed more because of him and strangely I feel so much better.  My days are more enjoyable, I lose my patience less and I'm just enjoying my son and his laughter.  It only took us 10 months but we've finally arrived and I want it to be like this forever.   Maybe minus the disgusting smelling poop and projectile vomit.

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment