Monday 9 November 2015

Heritage

I am in the process of compiling a set of photos of each immediate relatives baby photo to go on our hallway wall above our radiator cover.  This has been no easy task as obviously none of my son's grandparents were born in the digital age and camera were not so user friendly or inexpensive as they are today.  That being said, my sister and I have just spend the best part of an hour discussing our family's past and sharing photos from yesteryear speculating what happened around that moment. 

Pictures of relatives that are no longer with us, pictures of relatives with people we don't know and can only wonder who they are and what they were like.  I have always been curious about the past and my favourite subject at school was history.  I'm very mixed race (as in more than two races) and I'm proud to be, I have such a rich heritage and I hope to be able to share that with my son one day so he too can be proud of his roots.  There is something about the past that stirs my emotions.  My imagination always runs wild wondering what it was like.  

Today though, it was a bag of mixed emotions.  Learning about the almost misfortunes of some of my family and seeing those who I haven't seen in many years was all a bit much.  What I did enjoy out of it were the eras of fashion and the wedding outfits worn by all of the women.  I'm not a massive follower of fashion as I have come to realise I don't have the type of body that can wear literally anything and look good in it.  I am pretty realistic at knowing what suits me and what doesn't so I stick to the same styles.  I am however, a lover of the 40s and 50s silhouette and it's something my larger hourglass self can wear without looking ridiculous. 

I obviously won't be posting some of the pictures I came across today as although noone except me will know who they are, it feels a little disrespectful to upload relatives photos for the world to critique their outfits.  What I will do however is share videos I have loved watching on youtube and I look forward to seeing new ones whenever they are posted.  These videos combine my love of history with my interest in beauty and fashion and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.  Thank you mode.com for your research. 




What's your favourite era? If you don't have one, what were your favourite looks from these videos? 

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment