Wednesday 23 September 2015

"Dating" other mummies reflections

It seems that when you have had a baby, you feel under so much pressure to make mummy friends yet... when everyone starts going back to work everything goes silent. 

Maybe it is just me but being the first out of my group of mums to go back aside from the fact I have Mondays free with just me and my son (Tuesdays and Wednesdays we do classes) I do not have the time to see anyone anymore.  My time, as you can see from my distinct lack of blog posts is very precious and my list of things to do is ever increasing and the length of time my extremely mobile son now sleeps is decreasing.  That's not to say I don't want to make time to meet my new found mummy friends but it's not just me that has to make the effort to meet up.  I know that sounds immature but to me it really does work both ways.  

Historically out of my friends, I have always been the one to organise things.  When it came to celebrating our 30th birthday year of which 5 of the 8 of us were to turn 30, my friend and I arranged a "posh" venue for us to have ridiculously priced drinks once a month for a year.  This sounds totally achievable right? Except that after the first month, people stopped coming out for whatever reason or another and it became increasingly more difficult to cater to everyone.  This felt like a complete waste of my time especially as I made a point of sending out a list of revised dates every month which noone seemed to remember despite agreeing to the dates.  Needless to say, when I fell pregnant and then became too big to travel around comfortably and see everyone, the outings stopped and noone started them up again.  To date, we all meet up separately and there are friends I haven't seen since my son was a month old (he is almost 9 months now).  

I know this sounds rant-y but if you can see things from my point of view, I don't have time to waste anymore.  If people don't want to make the effort then why should I when the time could be spent ironing or eating or sleeping or most importantly, spending time with my son.  I have never prioritised drinking or even my social life over my wellbeing and I don't see why I should now with or without my son.  

So anyway, whilst I'm glad I finally managed to make friends after all the time I thought I wouldn't I won't be rushing to arrange a play date any time soon.  My son now gets to play with other babies every Thursday and although it would be nice to see my mum friends, it will not be to the detriment of other elements of my life/baby balance.  Have you found this situation? Would you consider it worth having temporary friends just to conform/give your baby playmates temporarily? If your kids are older, are you still in touch with your mum friends? 

~AB~


No comments:

Post a Comment