Monday 11 January 2016

Mumspiration

When my husband and I were looking for a new house, I would stare all day long at interior design ideas and sites, hoping and wishing for the perfect furniture for practically nothing and rooms that look like something out of a catalogue for barely any work.  During these home p*rn searches, I came across loads of Ikea hacks and DIYs that seemed like anyone could do them.  I curse myself for having so many DIY ideas but not having the skills to actually formulate them. 
I bookmarked so many projects which fell by the wayside (like the rocket bookshelf, a guestroom headboard, distressing a side table and decoupaging a child's table and chairs that the previous owners left behind).  There were so many amazing women who had DIYed their own homes and crafted some beautiful pieces of furniture and quite frankly I was jealous.  To be completely honest, I can't even say I started or completed even one project!  Anyway, I will get back to the point and berate myself later. 

During one particular search for tufted headboards I could have made for our guestroom, I came across this site:


I viewed the post about the headboard in envy, then I found myself reading through other posts.  I spent hours looking at photos of Sara's life, a person who I have never met before.  Something struck a chord and I  bookmarked her blog.  I needn't have bothered because almost two years later her page still remains open in a tab on our iPad which gets refreshed every week so I can read her latest post. 

This may sound odd and stalkery which I can appreciate and I am not intending to be a creep.  Indeed my husband finds it odd and I imagine so would Sara if she ever read this.  I have never commented on her posts or followed her on social media but I feel a strange affinity with her and her life.  Her candid accounts of everything make me read her posts as though she were one of my friends.  I can only relate to some of what she has blogged about (that's as much as possible with one child and a different lifestyle on a completely different continent) but I still feel like her words resonate with me (see the posts about resolutions and Christmas photos).  

I have always been keen on keeping the internet a place where my son would eventually choose himself whether to have an online presence but someone sharing their life in this way makes me appreciate family life and a parent's love even more.   

I guess what I am trying to say is, in the great wide interweb, there is a lot of scary information out there when you're a new parent and sometimes when you're looking for reassurance a forum just doesn't cut it.  It's refreshing to see a mum out there who isn't all about the good all of the time as parenting at least for me isn't 100% the best all of the time.  Sara is one of my mumspirations and I'm glad there is someone out there who can just keep it real every now and again so I know that I'm not abnormal. 

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment