Tuesday 28 July 2015

The long weekend

This weekend has been exhausting! It has mostly been spent baking and preparing for our first family night away from home for our nephew's first birthday.  

My in-laws live around three hours away in the south and they usually come to visit all of us at least once a month but this time it was our turn to venture to them.  This was particularly stressful for two reasons:  (1) we had to find a room which will cater to our travel cot without charging us an exorbitant amount of money (2) we have never been away with our son before and had no idea what to bring or what issues might arise.  They live in a staycation area and the hotels around them overlook a bay so as you can imagine they would be very popular during the summer especially when it is high peak wedding season.  This is conveniently the same time of year our nephew was born. 

We had been trialling our Hauck Dream and Play travel cot for the last month in preparation for this trip and it did not fail us.  Our son slept well although woke a couple of times disoriented as this wasn't his house but went straight back to sleep again. So how did we fare on our first trip away? Pretty well I think! There was nothing forgotten, nothing left behind and our son had a nice transition between home and away time despite getting stuck in traffic and it raining the entire time we were on the road... for over 6 hours.  My husband found it hilarious that I managed to switch on organisation mode and for the first time in I would say about a year, I felt in control.  I did what I do best and wrote my lists.  I categorised my son's stuff into four areas and mentally walked my way round our house and our routine.  This may sound pretty intense but it really does work for me.  I am a list maker.  I love and am constantly making lists of things and yes I am a control freak but this is how I control my life and sometimes that of my family but it's the only way for me I will get stuff done.  Anyway, I digress. 

In preparation for our weekend away which coincidentally is also my sister's birthday weekend I wanted to do some baking.  Noone put a gun to my head so to speak, I just thought it would be nice.  I always try and bake my sister a cake for each birthday (except for last year as I was pregnant and we were going away on holiday) but this year she has discovered she is dairy intolerant so it wouldn't be any old cake it would be a dairy free cake.  I also decided I would make something for my nephew's first birthday and made him sweet potato crackers which the toddlers didn't eat in the end :( 

So courtesy of the recipes at Pure and Merriment Design, here are the finished products:

Sweet potato baby crackers
(in the shape of Mickey Mouse)



Coconut cake with passionfruit frosting
and mango topping






















The rest of the weekend was spent eating and at my son's swimming class so I won't bore you with the details but I cannot wait to get into my bed! 

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment