Wednesday 8 July 2015

Mini health kick

At the moment we are trying to wean our son which means we need to lead by example.  My husband and I do not have a very good diet and definitely do not want our son to follow suit so we try and hide eating our not so good foods from him and sit in a different room and also will mostly eat them when he's not awake.  My husband is a big fan of fruit, whereas I'm more a veggies fan which in the grand scheme of things hasn't worked out too badly for us but when it comes to eating meals, the three portions you should see on a plate to have a balanced diet aren't there.  

In a bid to shake up our mealtimes, we are going to start planning dinners and I will have to search for simple, quick but wholesome meals.  I will also start making bigger batches and freezing them for the days where I am definitely too lazy to cook but where I should not be reaching for oven convenience food.  

So far my son has tried potato, sweet potato, parsnip, carrot, avocado and banana.  To my delight he seems to like sweet potato and parsnip which are two of my faves and to my husband's delight he dislikes banana!  My husband does not eat them as he had an incident when he was younger and unfortunately my body has grown intolerant to them but I'm trying to force myself out of it.  I haven't heard of any baby disliking banana so I will be trying it on him again to see if it was purely just the texture he disliked.  I will then start on a cycle of fruit, and then a cycle of mixing foods, which should take him to his 7th month, time goes so quickly!  

When he starts eating less pureed fruit I'm hoping I can introduce him to lollies.  Not the store bought kind packed full of sugar, but the kind I love making at home.  I have seen so many lolly recipes and I cannot wait to try them, particularly ones like avocado and cocoa but at the moment I have been experimenting with banana.  Unlike other fruits, bananas don't need to be mixed with anything to make a good ice cream as they are thick enough on their own, hence why they are always in smoothies.  Just in time for the good old English weather to turn after over a week of glorious sunshine, I have made banana and summer berry lollies.  I just need to wait for the weather to perk up again so I can give them a whirl but I imagine with the addition of some spinach or some avocado some day, this will be the perfect summer, seemly naughty (but not as there's no need to add sugar) snack for my son.  


Any other recipes you think I should try would be much appreciated and at this stage, I'm aiming for dairy free to keep it as natural as possible.

~AB~

No comments:

Post a Comment